Thursday afternoon, as I was planning for our trip, I realized it looked like it might be a tiny bit chilly in Rochester. I decided I would break down and bring my warm coat (I am coat resistant…I put off wearing the heavy ones as long as possible). I got the notion that it would be a good idea to have a hat. Somehow it seemed that a new hat would soften the blow of having to wear a coat. Now you may recall I had already made myself one hat, but it goes with my light coat, not my heavy coat. My heavy coat is red, so I dug around in the stash and found a nice thick red yarn and cast on a very basic hat.
Please note the timing. I cast on Thursday afternoon for a trip starting Friday afternoon. Amazingly enough, this actually worked. I finished the hat in the car Friday afternoon just as it was getting dark. I had to weave in my ends in the restaurant when we stopped for dinner because it was too dark to do them in the car.
So this left me with a finished hat, but it wasn’t quite ready to wear. It was just a bit too small. That was to be expected. I’ve found that this yarn grows a bit when blocked, so if the hat fit when it came off the needles it would be too big once it was washed. But I wanted to wear it on Saturday. The whole reason this hat existed was to be worn on Saturday as consolation for having to wear a coat.
This explains why I spent Friday night wrapping the hotel ice bucket in towels (to bulk it up to head size) and carefully stretching a freshly washed hat over it to dry. It worked fairly well. It wasn’t quite perfect (there were a few lumpy bits) but it totally resulted in a wearable hat.
Now that we’re back home, the hat is getting a slightly more vigorous blocking (my head is apparently alarmingly mixing-bowl shaped). Steps have been taken to limit the acts of kitten misappropriation. If the snow keeps up, both the hat and the warm coat will be seeing a lot of use.