Block everything…no really, everything

I’m pretty sure I’ve given the ‘no, really, block EVERYTHING’ lecture plenty of times.  But I figured I’d offer proof that I really do believe it.

I was knitting a little puffy heart (don’t judge, I needed a distraction).  But I realized somewhere along the way that I both wanted to block it…and that I didn’t want to throw a stuffed anything in a sink full of water.

So I knit it up to this point, soaked it, blocked it, stuffed it, and closed it all up.

I think it looks, as always, so much better after that little soak.  And yes, yes it is a pain.  Yes, it does mean you have to stop when you’re ten minutes from done and let it dry for an hour.  But oh oh oh it’s so worth it!

Absolutely useless

I was waiting for yarn to come, and I was feeling antsy.  So I decided to do something absolutely and completely useless.

This has no practical purpose.

Absolutely none at all.

And yet, yet I find myself amused.  And sometimes, that’s all you can ask for.

Circumvolute (plus giveaway)

I think it’s time we have a new pattern, don’t you?  Around here there’s still plenty of time to bang out a hat or two before spring starts flirting with us, and Circumvolute is a lovely choice.

Now, I don’t know about you, but lately I’ve been seeing lots and lots and lots of lovely speckled yarns.  Usually I see one, fall hopelessly in love, buy it, take it home, then swatch and swatch and swatch and never quite sort out something that works with the yarn.  But these hats fix that.

I finally figured out that speckled yarn likes to shine on its own.  You have to give it some stockinette to show off all its fancy colors.  But no one should have to do a whole hat worth of stockinette, so you need to find a way to sneak something else in there to stay sane.

And for these hats, that something else is lovely slipped stitch cables.  The slipped stitches play nicely with the speckles (it’s awesome when you get a bright splotch of color lined up just so on the elongated stitch).  But they still leave plenty of space for the yarn to be the star of the show.

The yarn I used here is Squish DK by Spun Right Round in the color Bug Jar, and I’m rather taken with it (if you’ve been paying attention, you’ll have noticed I used it again in a different color for the purple hat and mitts I just finished up).  Renee’s color are fabulous.  They strike just the right mix of taking me out of my comfort zone while still making beautiful projects.

And she’s offered to send a skein of her Squish DK off to one of you in the winner’s choice of color.  All you have to do is head over to her shop then come back here and leave a comment with your favorite color (be sure you check out her sold items too, there are even more colorways to see there!).  I used Bug Jar here, though I keep staring at The Walkers, and if I wanted to be brave, I’m awfully drawn to Grafitti Overlay.  I can’t wait to hear which colors tempt you the most!

And though I can’t quite manage to send yarn to everyone, I can give everyone a discount.  You can use the code SPECKLES to get 10% off the pattern between now and Friday.  Just put Circumvolute in your ravelry cart, click on the ‘use a coupon code’ button, and type in the code SPECKLES.  You’ll see the change in price reflected right away.

Comments left between now and the end of the day (eastern time) Friday, February 10, 2017 will be entered to win.  I’ll pick a winner, contact them to get their addresses, and arrange to send yarn their way.  Be sure to use a real email address so I can contact you if you’ve won (I won’t do anything with those email addresses besides notify the winner).  If I do email you, I need to hear back from you within 72 hours or I will pick a new winner and contact them.

More and then more

First one grew…

And before I knew it it was done.

Oh and then hey look…somehow another one leapt onto the needles.  Funny how that happens!

The yarn is Squish DK by Spun Right Round in Bug Jar, and the hat pattern in this yarn will be out tomorrow if you need to play with it yourself!